Sunday, November 21, 2010

Playdough

Why I haven't ever made my own playdough, I will never know.  I suppose it is because the only times my kids have been interested is when they have found a tub of the real thing laying around somewhere.
After my children got into some rather poorly made commercial playdough last night and spending hours cleaning up the mess (thanks mom for doing most of the work during clean up), I decided that something had to be done.
So I decided to make my own!
Super easy, super cool and so not messy!!!

I colored it with Kool-aid (thanks Kool-aid).

So if you haven't tried it..do it, even if you don't have kids...try it, it is fun!  You can make animals for yourself or put it in a plastic bag and give it to the kids on the block (they will appreicate you)!

Here it is:

1 c Flour
1/2 c Salt (I used table salt, not course so it would mix in well)
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 c Water
1 tbsp cooking Oil
1 Kool-aid package (any brand does work) or few drops of food coloring

Put all into heavy pan and onto stove on med high.  Stir all together and heat until the product pulls away from the sides or balls begin to form. 
Once the product is to the desired consistency, dump onto countertop and let cool.
When cool enough to handle, knead until smooth.
I then poured in the koolaid package and knead it into the dough.

Wah-lah!! 
Kids are loving it!!  Of course I double the initial ingredients, but still only added one package for the color. 

It is not messy, does not stick to anything and when you wash your hands the tidbits that are there, come right off.

Awesome stuff!!   I will never buy commercial playdough again!

No comments:

Post a Comment